Mold killed my cat
Black Mold Guide
by Dena Safer Concord, CA
Right before Christmas, my cat Bengy died. She’d been sick for months
with respiratory problems and asthma. I spent almost $900 at the vet,
trying to find out what was causing her problems and trying to treat
them but nothing seemed to work. The vet said he’d never seen a cat
with such severe asthma and he didn’t know what caused it.
I was living in a basement apartment then and I’d lived there for
almost two years. Bengy had seemed perfectly healthy when I moved in
and she seemed fine for the first year and a half that we lived there.
I often found small amounts of slimy black mold in the bathroom, but I
just cleaned it up with bleach and water. I thought I’d gotten it all
and it never occurred to me that it could be causing a problem.
After Bengy died, though, I was cleaning out a closet and when I moved
some boxes, I saw black mold all over the back of the boxes, the wall
behind the boxes, and the floor under the boxes. I had no idea there
was that much mold in my apartment and I immediately wondered if that
might have been what made Bengy so sick. I called the vet the next day
and asked and he said he couldn’t say for sure but it was definitely
Well, about the same time I found all the mold in my closet, I adopted
a new kitten. Malachi was a tiny black kitten that had been a stray. I
took him to the vet as soon as I adopted him and the vet said he was in
good health. However, within just a couple of weeks, he started having
symptoms like Bengy had.
I had done my best to clean up all the mold I found in the closet but
since then I’ve read that mold can get into the walls and under the
floors and can be almost impossible to spot and clean up. Professionals
have special tests for mold and special tools and know how to find all
the hidden mold, but I’m sure I missed some.
When Malachi started getting sick, I just panicked. I was so scared he
was going to die like Bengy had. My landlord didn’t seem concerned
about the mold and didn’t want to have a professional come in and take
care of it, so I decided to move. I know I shouldn’t have had to move,
the landlord should have gotten the mold all cleaned up, but I didn’t
want to take the time to try to fight with him about it. I just wanted
to live someplace that was safe for me and for Malachi.
After we moved, Malachi’s symptoms cleared up almost right away. I’m
still really sad and angry about losing Bengy, though. I just had no
idea mold could make a cat that sick.
Jul 08, 2013
I recently posted my story on this site but failed to mention that my
beagle has horrible breathing problems and seems to have asthma
attacks. Since being exposed to airborne mold spores my dog (that's
like a child to me) has developed a tumor in her back.
I ordered a mold testing kit that I'm waiting to get in the mail. I'm
so desperate to find out the type of mold that has ravaged through my
whole families health. I fear it is Stachybotrys...
I'm so sorry you suffered such a loss over mold. I will be aggressively
battling our situation legally in court. If its not too late and you
documented the mold you can also pursue a lawsuit. Pets are family and
its ridiculous that landlords get away with these hazardous conditions.
I'm glad to hear that you are now in a healthy environment. Remember
when you rent to document everything down to the last receipt and
pictures and video of before and after tenancy. Take care, Jennifer.
top contents chapter