Palmer woman indicted for allegedly defrauding homeowners’ association
Chris Ford
09 June 2017

PALMER — A Palmer grand jury handed down a seven-count indictment Wednesday against a 63-year old Palmer woman who allegedly defrauded the Mountain View Homeowners’ Association out of almost $29,000.

According to the Alaska Bureau of Investigation’s Financial Crimes Unit and charging documents, Kimberly Kirby had written herself almost $29,000 in unauthorized checks over a 7 1/2 year period. Police state between April 1, 2007, and Dec. 3, 2015, Kirby had authorized checks tallying almost $37,000. Based on authorized stipends and reimbursement for supplies, $28,750.71 was not authorized, police say.

Kirby was indicted on two counts of scheme to defraud, two counts of falsifying business records, and three counts of second-degree theft. The first two counts are Class B felonies, the remainder Class C. Count I alleges that between April 30, 2009, and Aug. 16, 2011, Kirby defrauded one or more persons of $10,000 or more. Count II stipulates that between Jan. 1, 2013, and Dec. 31, 2014, she defrauded five or more persons.

The third count alleges Kirby omitted to make true business entries between Jan. 1, 2013, and Dec. 31, 2014. Between April 30, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2011, she committed theft of more than $500 but less than $25,000. Documents also allege that April 26-Dec. 31, 2012, she committed theft of $500 or more and that between Jan. 1, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2014, she committed theft of at least $750.

the loss of money was one factor that led the association to double its yearly fees

According to reports, the financial crimes unit began an investigation into thefts from the association on April 11, 2017. Police said the loss of money was one factor that led the association to double its yearly fees for all of its 50 members. Police stated the investigation further revealed that Kirby had repaid approximately $24,000 to the association prior to this investigation.

On Thursday, the Palmer court issued a summons for Kirby. Friday morning, the case was moved to Anchorage.

top  contents  chapter  previous  next