Four-alarm ﬁre on Lake Shore Blvd. caused by ‘improperly discarded smoking’ materials
26 October 2917
The Toronto Fire Services investigation unit and the Office of the Fire
Marshal determined that the fire was accidental, said a news release
Thursday. (Submitted by Tony Chariot)
A four-alarm fire at a townhouse complex during which a district fire
chief was rushed to hospital in critical condition was at least
partially caused by discarded smoking items, the city says.
The Toronto Fire Services (TFS) investigation unit and the Office of
the Fire Marshal determined that fire was accidental, said a news
It's been one week since emergency crews were called to the complex at
2067 Lake Shore Boulevard for reports of flames on a third-floor
balcony, which quickly spread north to an adjoining roof.
As crews worked to battle the blaze, a mayday was called after the
district chief suffered what Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg told
reporters was "some type of medical event" and had to be rushed to St.
Joseph's Health Centre.
"This is about the worst case scenario for any fire chief," Pegg said at the time.
In the release, the city said the incident was one of the "most challenging" aspects of what was already a "complex" situation.
"TFS faced a number of challenges fighting this complex fire, including
access to the building, the fact that the fire progressed into the roof
and the impact of crews responding in rush-hour traffic," the release
Toronto Fire Services are reminding residents to soak all lighting
materials, butts and ashes in water before disposing of them using
deep, non-combustible ashtrays, and to only smoke outside.